Saturday, April 18, 2015

Re use, Recycle upcycle container

I just made a container for my coffee granules, I use them in my garden and sometimes to wash my sink pipes...
In this projects was almost 100% recycled, I used an used container and the theme I did was almost all left over of a board a made, so I had a lot of little scrap paper around.
Here is how to:
1. First look a plastic container that suites your needs; in my case is a round or circular container.
2. Depending the shape of the container, what you want to use for or the decoration around it and your personal taste, choose a theme.  In my case it is for coffee granules & for the kitchen, I love color, cups and in this case because is round i decide to choose 2 themes for each side.
3. If it have a label please remove it.
4. I recommend to sand lightly or buff the surface of the plastic so the glues, paper or paint adheres better.
I choose a big round container we drink lots of coffee here!


Then I sand it, I didn't took to much care in the process of sanding; this project will be cover  with Graphic 45 papers; if you prefer to painted use a fine sanding paper.

This container the label is printed onto the plastic so I could not take it off.

 I want paper to cover the container so it is easier to measure it first with a cheap p/c paper or leftover papers; so you know exactly were to cut and don't damage your  paper. Also for a circular container  instead of a rule you can use a tape measure. I used Modge Podge matte for this project.

I measure one side  first and then the other, I am going to use different design in each side. Here I measure the width and height. 
Villas and hoses are very easy shape to do, usually you use squares, rectangles and triangles shapes. I cover it up with Modge Podge matte when finish, then I proceed to draw and highlight it. When I am done, then I pass another coat of the Modge
Then I proceed to highlight the shades with markers and inks.
paint and draw over the paper to give it more definition and shades, so it looks more dimensional even it is flat.


I had in mind two sides, so I proceed to cut the paper shapes, and then paste it with glue over the container. In this way I can re use small left over  of the paper I had work in another project.
The other side, I decide to make a  background, Graphic 45 paper pads usually come with a creme paper at the end of there 12X12, so I use it for the base of the background. This give dimension and texture to the project.

I measure one side


Here is the measure background paper I will use.

I cut several squares & rectangles shape for this side, then I use 3 different types of ink  in this background.

This side I am going to use coffee cups, so I proceed to cut them for the design.
Then I paste them and draw over them to give them shape.
This container have an upper lip to it, so I decide to cover some part with paper and the smaller to paint it. I use an electronic cutter for the letters.

I glue a paper and to adhere it I use a washing peg.


Now when is finish, because this is going to the  kitchen I cover it with Modge Podge dishwasher safe varnish, just in case it gets wet. And here is the finish product:

The Happy Coffee Villa side

The lid and the coffee cups.


I forgot to take picture for the lid, but I use the same procedure. 
Now ready for use and snails to go!





No comments:

Post a Comment